|Brief Description of the NTRC
The National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (NTRC) of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has been established to coordinate an effective telecommunications regulatory regime which will enhance the operation of telecommunications in the interest of the sustainable development of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
The NTRC was established by the passing of the Telecommunications Act (CAP 418) of the Revised Laws of St. Vincent and the Grenadines of 2009. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is also a signatory to the Treaty establishing the Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL) which was signed in St. George’s, Grenada, May 4th. 2000 to promote open competition in telecommunications, to harmonize policies on a regional level for telecommunications, and to provide for a universal service, fair pricing and the use of cost-based pricing methods by telecommunications providers.
Functions of the NTRC
- To be responsible for technical regulation and the setting of technical standards of telecommunications and ensure compatibility with standards of the International Telecommunications Union(ITU);
- To plan, supervise, regulate and manage the use of the radio frequency spectrum in conjunction with ECTEL including the assignment and registration of radio frequencies to be used by all stations operating in SVG or on any ship, aircraft, vessel, or other floating or airborne contrivance or spacecraft registered in SVG;
- To collect all fees prescribed and any other charges levied under the Telecommunications Act or regulations;
- To receive and review applications for licences under the telecommunications act;
- To monitor and ensure that licencees comply with the conditions attached to their licences and to any written law;
- To investigate and resolve any dispute relating to interconnections or sharing of infrastructure between telecommunications providers;
- To monitor anti-competitive practices in the telecommunications sector;
- To regulate prices for telecommunications services.